Online TPRS Portuguese Course
Are you tired of consciously learning grammar rules and memorizing vocabulary lists?
Are you tired of having studied a language for a long time and being unable to actually use it?
Are you tired of spending time and money on traditional grammar classes that take you nowhere?
Would you like your speech to be natural and spontaneous, just like it is in your mother tongue?
Would you like that to happen in a relaxing, entertaining and stress-free atmosphere as well?
This online TPRS Portuguese course is designed to solve those problems.
Benefits of the TPRS Portuguese Course
- To acquire a second language naturally and following the same principles by which we all acquired our native languages
- To truly acquire a language so your speech is natural and spontaneous, just like it is in your mother tongue, within a safe and entertaining atmosphere as well. You’ll never have to go through the painful process of having to consciously think about everything you want to say again, and words will come to your mind naturally in a subconscious way.
- There’s multiple research studies that prove that progress is several times faster than that with the traditional grammar approach, and it’s even greater when it comes to older people, challenging the idea that only children can learn languages and this is extremely complicated for adults.
- To learn a language naturally so you can take advantage of the real world, the richest and most interesting source of information there is.
- Through the most natural, interesting and complete method this teaching approach has to offer, the TPRS (Teaching Proficiency through Reading and Storytelling), which is mostly based on stories and reading.
- Moreover, and even though this is not its main purpose at all, there’s also several research studies that prove that by learning a language this way, students get better results in official exams (Cambridge, TOEFL, TOEIC…) than those who signed up for courses specifically designed to prepare them for the above mentioned exams.
- And all that in a relaxing, entertaining and stress-free atmosphere for both the students and the teacher.
- You’ll leave the feelings of hassle and effort, as well as having to memorize grammar rules and vocabulary lists, behind forever, changing the idea you had on language learning for the better.
- Keys, resources and ideas to keep learning on your own outside of the classroom through interesting and pleasant activities that, in most cases, you were already carrying out in your own native language
This course IS for you if...
- You’re tired of the traditional grammar classes that take you nowhere
- You’d like your speech to be natural and spontaneous, just like it is in your native language.
- You want to truly learn the language so you can use it in the real world.
This course is NOT for you if...
- You’re looking for traditional classes based on grammar and consciously learning a language.
- You’re looking for classes to specifically prepare for a certain certificate
- You’re looking for a “magic formula” that will help you learn a language overnight. I’m sorry to be the one to tell you that that is simply not possible
My name is Álvaro Heras and I help people truly acquire their target language while enjoying the process.
I’ve been living in Poland for over 5 years and when I tried to study Polish (a language with 7 different cases, masculine, feminine and neutral genres and many other “pleasant” surprises), through the traditional grammar approach based on consciously learning grammar rules, memorizing vocabulary lists and so on, I realized we were doing something wrong. To witness how many people in my country study English for a very long period (throughout our academic life) and are just unable to use the language in real life, made me think as well.
I’ve met and been trained by some of the most experienced teachers from all over the world when it comes to this teaching approach, like Ben Slavic, Anne Ewing, Robert Harrell, and many others.
My goal is not to help people obtain a specific certificate, but to help them truly acquire the language so they can use it in the real world.
I speak 7 languages myself as of now: Spanish, English, Portuguese, French, Polish, Catalan and Italian.
Research studies that show the TPRS’ tremendous dominance over the traditional methods:
- Asher (1972) compared students in a TPR German course with controls in a "standard" college course. Asher reported that after only 32 hours of TPR instruction, TPR students outperformed controls, who had had 150 hours of classtime, in a test of listening comprehension, and equaled controls in tests of reading and writing. Asher's students progressed nearly five times faster!
- Asher, Kusudo and de la Torre (1974) compared TPR students studying Spanish at the first year university level with AL (Audio-Lingua, a traditional approach based on grammar) controls. After 45 hours of TPR instruction, students outperformed controls who had had 150 hours in listening comprehension, and equaled controls' performance on a reading test (Pimsleur Spanish Proficiency Test). After 45 additional hours of instruction, TPR students performed beyond the 50th percentile on a Spanish proficiency test designed for students with 150 hours on all skills
- Recently, in 2012, J.S. Oliver compared final exam scores of beginning college Spanish students in four traditional classes and two TPRS classes. The TPRS students significantly outperformed the traditional students on a traditional final exam testing reading, writing, and grammar. Additionaly, Oliver describes positive effects on speaking, listening, and motivation that were not tested by the exam. This article was published in "The Language Educator".
- Finally, and from a motivation standpoint, Braunstein (2006) conducted a research study on student attitudes towards TPRS in a class of 15 adult ESL students. It was found that even adult ESL students, who expected more traditional instruction, responded positively to TPRS. Students were enthusiastic about the class and reported that the methods helped them to remember vocabulary, and understand English.
These are some of the studies that prove that the TPRS and CI-based methods are way more appropriate and effective than the traditional grammar methods. Moreover, and as I’ve already mentioned a couple of times, not only are these methods superior when it comes to oral and written comprehension, motivation…, but they also help students get better grammar results than those methods specifically designed to consciously teach grammar.
What’s the level of this course?
We offer 2 different types of courses: for Beginners and Intermediate speakers.
We offer 3 different types of TPRS online courses
Note: before proceeding with any payment, we’ll have a free Zoom session to better explain what classes are going to look like and to show an example of a real class so students get a clear picture. We want all our students to have a satisfying experience. Finally, you’ll also get my book “You can learn any language if you know how” with all the courses.